P.E. classes don't offer a lot of areas for students to ask higher level questions. The questions asked in P.E. are often knowledge or comprehension based and occasionally application based. Questions include: "Are we going outside?", "What are we doing today?", "Can I go to the bathroom?", "Can I get a drink of water?", and the occasional "How do we do this?". The questions are usually just for clarification and there will just be one answer. The only thing I've noticed the P.E. teacher ask is "Did you guys bring coats?", "What game would you rather play?", "Why aren't you participating?", and when teaching a new game, "Does anyone have any questions?
The reasoning behind the shallowness of the questions is due to the fact that most classes are based around learning things that will increase your mental ability and require more thinking whereas P.E. is about physical activity and requires less thinking and more doing. Art Club is similar. Because it's more about the students doing and the teacher clarifying and helping, the questions are about opinions and options as to what the students can do such as "Can we work with clay today?" or "Do we have any red paint?". I suppose a lot of the club/art in itself is application: you learn a technique and apply it to the project that you're working on.
Do you think that higher level questions CAN be used in P.E. and Art? How?

It makes complete sense that those would be the type of questions asked. I know for me it was much easier to understand what to do in a P.E. and Art classroom because most of the task were demo-ed for me. Monkey see Monkey do. And the questions of why you do certain things is usually not there because most of the time there was an obvious outcome of winning or loosing the game. I suppose higer level quesitons can be used for P.E. if one wanted to incorporate subjects such as Anatomy, Physiology, and Nutrition into cirriculum. But why would you want to do that? P.E. is time for exercise below the neck, not above it. It is a good time to just relax and get away from studying. What do you think about that?
ReplyDeleteI think higher level question can be used in a P.E classroom if the students were taught more about what muscles they were using during certain activities. That way, a student might ask, is there another way to work this muscle besides this activity, instead of, can I use the bathroom. Also, the more students know about there bodies the better.
ReplyDelete