Thursday, March 4, 2010

Teacher Philosophy

So, first off, update:
I actually have been placed in a P.E. only class, no health. The health teacher was no longer accepting teacher's aides and I wasn't informed. So remember that luck that I asked for? SEND MORE!
So after sitting and wandering around the gym for a few days watching the sixth graders do warm-ups and play kickball, and observing how the teacher (we've actually been observing a student teacher more often than our supervising teacher) responds and interacts with the children, we sat down with our supervising teacher to ask him about his teaching philosophy.
When asked about his role in the classroom (or in this case, the gym), he told us how he determines the activities for the day, leads the students to do what is expected, and ultimately promotes fitness and an active lifestyle. Although he thinks that it is important for the students to have a say in their curriculum, only to a point so that they enjoy what they do, he believes that ultimately they need to be guided. He believes that Physical and Health Education are important for everyone because of the immense benefits of an active and healthy lifestyle. He believes that ever teacher needs to be a leader, and be assertive, no matter the grade level or subject that they are teaching. Every teacher also needs to have a knowledge of their subject(s) and above all, enthusiasm for their job. He believes that the most important things that a teacher can teach a student are to be respectful and honest, to care about and be themselves, and most of all, to make the best choices for them.
I know I wasn't too thrilled about being in a P.E. class, but when he puts ideas in these ways, I feel like I can learn so many broad skills that I can take to any classroom, just by watching the different ways that he and his student teacher teach. I think that my passion for health and want for the future generations to be able to make informed choices will help lead me through teaching. I agree that it's definitely important to guide the students towards what is right and the main ideas, but in the end they are the ones who need to have the final say if it's important to them. A big thing I take away from this is to make sure the students enjoy their-selves along the way or otherwise, they won't want to continue with a certain aspect or subject in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot you have to say and am also glad you were able to find a positive out of your not so ideal situation=)

    When it comes to students say in their education. I believe it is very important that they have some sort of say. But guidance is also important. At a young age you never really know what exactly you want or what is best for you. I know personally some of the things I REALLY didn't want to do in the end turned out to be the most beneficial and enjoyable. Where do you think the line should be drawn between guidance and choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are 100% correct in your thinking about being able to learn different ideas that you can use in your future as an educator, even though you do not want to teach P.E. Every teacher as a different style and way of teaching. We are lucky enough to get to observe a teacher and take in his good ideas, and learn from some not as good ideas, to make us stronger teachers.

    ReplyDelete